Wednesday 22 July 2009

Tour of Clyde Williams Building at Loughborough


Had a great day back at Loughborough University culminating in a lunch meeting with the eminent Professor Clyde Williams.

It was amazing to tour the incredible new state of the art Clyde Williams building which is part of the University's School of Sport, Exercise and Human Sciences and was opened by the Princess Royal last month.

The superb £12m construction houses 27 laboratories, four teaching rooms and a large lecture theatre, along with facilities for physiological, molecular and environmental technologies including two climatic chambers, a sprint lane and bespoke training and testing equipment.

How very different from the labs there when I was at Loughborough.

When the building was opened the ever humble Professor Williams, who joined the University in 1978 said: "I still feel very much a part of the sport and exercise science community and am still active in research and other academic activity so its a strange feeling to have a building named after me. Its something I never expected.

"When I came to Loughborough my first job was to clear the locker rooms that had been assigned as our lab. For 30 years weve been doing great research in sub-standard conditions and I've fought long and hard to get a better facility, but this is better than I ever could have expected.

"It's been a long time coming and I'm delighted with what we have now and what we can hand over to the researchers of the future."

No comments:

Post a Comment